[CentOS] Centos 4.4 install on ASUS A8V-VM does not find SATAdrives

Will McDonald

wmcdonald at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:29:43 UTC 2007

On 17/01/07, Don Levey <centos at the-leveys.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 10:37 -0500, Don Levey wrote:
> > No go, unfortunately.  Even under factory settings, using promise_sata
> (and
> > promise_sx4, for that matter), CentOS 4.4 won't install.  Time for a new
> > board, I guess.
> >  -Don
> >

> One last thing ... try a bios upgrade to the latest from the
> manufacturer

> Already at version 401 (the latest from ASUS).  They *do* offer a VIA SATA
> driver for Linux, and that may help if I can get it on the install DVD.

Will FC3 or later install on it? It's possible (though no doubt a
bunch of work) to hack together an installer with extended/custom
device support in its initrd. Of course then you'd need to ensure the
installed kernel had similar extended functionality/updated hardware
support.

You could always try the latest FC variant until CentOS 5 is available
then try rebuilding the server with that? And with that in mind you
could layout your partitions accordingly so any custom data is still
local even after a reinstall.

Will.