[CentOS] Porting to RISC

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 19 01:52:03 UTC 2007

Daniel Rindt wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> for a small embedded System i would like to install CentOS, but it is a
> RISC System. So my Question is it possible to rebuild some SRPMs for
> RISC?

Some risc systems are quite big: IBM's Power* and Sun's *sparc* are risc
systems.

However, for embedded systems, I suspect you're talking about small
systems, and RHEL/Fedora/CentOS are quite unsuitable. Don't think about
any of them unless you have _at least_ 256 Mbytes of RAM and a few
gigglebytes of disk.

Debian's not going to work, by itself, with a diskless system, though it
probably has the cross-development tools you will need.

Google around for your architecture + Linux + development.

Speaking of Debian, would you believe its most popular architecture is,
Not IA32/AMD-64, not Power, but ARM?

Does it have to be Linux? One of my mates has a Zaurus, and he's
recently installed a BSD on that.

--

Cheers
John