[CentOS] Cluster with two i386 pcs!

Johnny Hughes

Fri Jan 19 12:54:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 19:55 -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
> israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> > I want to make a cluster with two simple (INTEL SATA) pcs using CentOS,
> > my question is? Is there something easiest than Linux RedHat Cluster
> > Manager to make a cluster using CentOS with just two pcs?
> >

> do you want a high availability cluster, or a high performance
> cluster?   the two are completely different.

Exactly ...

> what application(s) is this cluster serving?

For a HA situation where you need a failover machine, DRBD is very easy
to setup and use and it works well for what it does ... which is provide
raid1 over the network wire to maintain a backup machine.  You can not
use the services on both machines (at the same time) in that scenario to
share the load, it just provides a "hot spare" to rapidly switch to.

I use DRBD clusters for my main Domain Controller and main mail
server ... as we need both of those to not fail.

For load sharing (ie, high performance) ... you would need a totally
different kind of cluster.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes