[CentOS] Installing 4.4 - problem on 386

Mike Fedyk

mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Fri Jan 19 15:49:02 UTC 2007

[ wow, you took the time to format my message so you can top post.
Amazing. ]

So you're saying that the fedora kernel gives a similar error when
trying to use the CD drive?  Yes, try a different cd drive.

Also try setting your bios to "bios defaults".  Some bioses have
optimized and another default named failsafe, bios etc.  Choose that
other default.  It will have slower timings and fewer speed
optimizations that may have a positive affect on your system.

Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> I tried installing with several options (noacpi noapm; noprobe; noprobe
> skipddc noacpi noapm nodma). Always I get the same error.
>
> BUT this is not in fac a CentOS problem at all, because I get the same error
> always when I boot from hd (Fedora Core), IF there is a CD in the CD-ROM
> drive. (I tried with CentOS 1/4, CentOS 2/4 and a HP printer software CD.)
> It must be something with the CD drive! Maybe I just have to try another CD
> drive.
>
> - Jussi H.
>
> Mike Fedyk (mfedyk at mikefedyk.com) kirjoitteli (18.1.2007 18:23):[
> try booting with "noapm".
>
> Jussi Hirvi (greenspot at greenspot.fi) kirjoitteli (18.1.2007 14:14):
>>> Greetings, list!
>>>
>>> I get kernel panic while trying to install CentOS 4.4 on an oldish PC.
>>>
>>> The machine is P III 500 MHz (this info is displayed at the beginning of
>>> boot). 256M RAM at the moment (I plan to add more later). I have 386 version
>>> of the installer.
>>>
>>> The boot begins ok - I get the "CentOS" screen (from CD-ROM), and the boot
>>> process after that begins ok, until...
>>>
>>> I hope the following helps you understand the problem:
>>>
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> mounting [etc. etc.]
>>> running install...
>>> running /sbin/loader
>>>
>>> [After this there is kernel panic with a lot of cryptic texts. Here's some
>>> that seems to be relevant: ]
>>>
>>> Call Trace:
>>> cdrom_start_packet_command [code...]
>>> cdrom_timer_expiry [code]