[CentOS] Best Board Your Ever Ran CentOS On?

Morten Torstensen

morten at mortent.org
Fri Jan 19 17:47:08 UTC 2007

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Still there is a need for Linux on those machines - and that might be
> the reason that Red Hat and SuSE (and others) offer Linux for PPC64.

The IBM Power4 and 5 are the main targets for the upstream providers
version for PPC. There is a need for it, particulary in HPC
installations. Generally AIX is a better options on them than Linux, but
it depends on what software you want to run on the boxes. The hardware
is in many ways similar to many PC server parts... Adaptec SCSI HBAs,
Broadcom ethernet, Mylex FC HBAs, DDR2 memory, PCI slots... but a main
difference is the chipsets and I/O bandwidth available.

Oh, and the hardware hypervisor. That is sweet. When you make a
partition to run an OS is, you select the PCI slots you want available
to it, the amount of memory, the amount of CPU(s) with lots of config
options... and you have virtual I/O options for network, disk and
consoles. The hypervisor provides a virtual Ethernet switch that
emulates 1Gbps Ethernet, but it runs at much higher speeds :) And all
allocated resources can be dynamic... so you can add and remove PCI
slots, memory, CPU on the fly. Nice machines :)

Sadly, I don't have a Power4 or 5 box on the net either, else I would be
glad to donate a partition to CentOS.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.