[CentOS] Re: core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

Johnny Hughes

Fri Jan 19 23:55:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 14:45 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:
> Scott Silva wrote:
> > If you want the latest and greatest, CentOS is not for you. Try Fedora. If you
> > want a consistant environment that you won't have to re-compile or rewrite
> > your mission critical apps at every update, that is what CentOS and all other
> > enterprise class distros are all about.
> >
> I realize why I see this mantra of try Fedora Core all the time when
> people are requesting
> bleeding-edge features from a distro that specifically mandates
> otherwise in it's stated purpose,
> but isn't recommending a project that has announced it's shutting down
> kind of counter-productive
> for everybody?  Granted, it is bleeding edge, but the project's shutting
> down, so it seems
> kind of a wrong answer.

Just for the record ... The Fedora Project is not shutting down.

In fact, they are getting bigger (at least the distro is by combining
all the Extras and Core together).

Not only that ... they are supposedly the "Knight in Shining Armor" :P

Everybody knows Knights never give up :)

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=627&num=1

And the point is ... Enterprise Linux is not Bleeding Edge, and CentOS
is for the Enterprise ... however, Fedora is Bleeding edge and works
very well on newer hardware.