[CentOS] xeon quad core?

Peter Serwe

peter at infostreet.com
Sat Jan 20 01:14:18 UTC 2007

> Can anyone share their experience with installing RHEL / Centos
> (latest production release) on the Dell 2950 (or 2900) with the
> quad-core e5310 processor?  Does anyone know what chipset Dell is
> using on this box?
>
> I've got one on the way, and I'm hoping to use centos as the 'host' OS
> for several virtual machines (some of them Windows pigs), running
> vmware server.

I'm not 100% sure, but that looks a lot like the 2 2900's I just fired up.

For various reasons, I don't have access to dmesg on either of them at
the moment, but I will say that CentOS 4.4 x86_64 runs well on them,
and my dual Xeon boxes show in top as having 8 cpu's (0-7).

I'm only running 6GB RAM on one of them, and 2GB on the other, but the
PERC 5/i in RAID 1 or the beefier PERC controller in full RAID 10 with 8
300GB SAS drives works like a champ with CentOS.

Nothing more complicated to do than set partitions, passwords, and
distribution
options during installation, and you don't even have to do all that..

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss