[CentOS] CentOS4 and older megaraid - SOLVED

Craig White

craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 20 17:17:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 17:37 +1100, David Booth wrote:
> For Centos4.4 I've got the 586 and 686 drivers on 2 floppies so far -
> recipe follows... Hope this helps someone.
> I'll try this on my HP and Acer, neither of which will install without
> intervention. I'll post part 2 of the recipe if it works out.
>
> # recipe part 1 - make the driver disks using
> #http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/index.php?/archives/4-Installing-RHEL4-on-Systems-with-Legacy-Megaraid-Drivers.html
> # modified for Centos4.4 as described in this thread
> #http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-August/010021.html
> #
> # Using Centos4.4Final i386 Disk 1 of 4
> #
> # START
> # Install Centos4.4 disk 1 of 4 minimal on an old system
> # with floppy and PCI HD and net access
> mkdir /usr/src/software
> cd /usr/src/software
> wget http://www.tuxyturvy.com/files/megaraid2.tar.bz2
> mkdir /usr/src/megaraid
> cd /usr/src/megaraid
> tar jxvfp /usr/src/sofware/megaraid2.tar.bz2
> yum install gcc
> yum install kernel-devel-2.6.9-42.EL.i586
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.EL/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/megaraid modules
> #
> # copy megaraid.ko to a floppy and label it megaraid-586
> #
> mformat a:
> mount /media/floppy
> cp /usr/src/megaraid.ko /media/floppy
> umount /media/floppy
> #
> # then clean out the kernel-devel...to make way for the 686 version
> rpm -e kernel-devel
> yum install kernel-devel-2.6.9-42.EL.i686
> #
> cd ../usr/src
> mv megaraid megaraid-586
> mkdir megaraid
> cd megaraid
> tar jxvfp /usr/src/sofware/megaraid2.tar.bz2
> make -C /lib/modules/2.6.9-42.EL/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/megaraid modules
> #
> # then copy megaraid.ko to a floppy and label it megaraid-686
> mformat a:
> mount /media/floppy
> cp /usr/src/megaraid.ko /media/floppy
> umount /media/floppy
> #
> # Take the floppies to the scsi system and follow recipe part 2
> # I'll post that if it works out.
----
hmmm...I remember that  ;-)

glad my notations are helping

I vaguely recall some discussion that a centos plus kernel module for
these old megaraid cards was going to be made available but I haven't
seen any discussion about that.

a quick persusal in centos plus shows only a kernel-module for xfs but
perhaps it is enabled in the centos plus kernel because if I recall
correctly, appletalk is built into centos plus kernels and not separate
module.

Craig