[CentOS] trying to remove cyrus-sasl

Johnny Hughes

Mon Jan 22 14:38:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:15 -0500, Gordon McLellan wrote:
> I'm trying to remove the packages for cyrus-sasl using yum, but for
> some reason, yum wants to uninstall everything related to e-mail, as
> well as X-Windows, Gnome, etc etc.
>
> yum remove cyrus-sasl
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install      0 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove      81 Package(s)
> Total download size: 0
> Is this ok [y/N]: n
> Exiting on user Command
>
> How can I just remove cyrus, without uninstalling my entire desktop?
>
> Thanks,
> Gordon

cyrus-sasl is required by several things, including sendmail and
evolution connector.

you can do this from the command line to see exactly what you have
installed that needs cyrus-sasl

rpm -e cyrus-sasl

(that will fail and tell you every package that depends on something
provided by cyrus-sasl)

My guess is that you can not remove it easily.