[CentOS] trying to remove cyrus-sasl

Johnny Hughes

Mon Jan 22 15:14:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 15:49 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 09:15 -0500, Gordon McLellan wrote:
> >> I'm trying to remove the packages for cyrus-sasl using yum, but for
> >> some reason, yum wants to uninstall everything related to e-mail, as
> >> well as X-Windows, Gnome, etc etc.
> >>
> >> yum remove cyrus-sasl
> >>
> >> Transaction Summary
> >> =============================================================================
> >> Install      0 Package(s)
> >> Update       0 Package(s)
> >> Remove      81 Package(s)
> >> Total download size: 0
> >> Is this ok [y/N]: n
> >> Exiting on user Command
> >>
> >> How can I just remove cyrus, without uninstalling my entire desktop?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gordon
> >
> > cyrus-sasl is required by several things, including sendmail and
> > evolution connector.
> >
> > you can do this from the command line to see exactly what you have
> > installed that needs cyrus-sasl
> >
> > rpm -e cyrus-sasl
>
> rpm -e --nodeps cyrus-sasl

That would be absolutely stupid ... please don't do it.  It will leave
in place broken packages that will fail to function.  The proper way is
to do my command, which will tell you the other packages that muct be
removed to remove cyrus-sasl.

Leaving uninstalled requires on your system is a recipe for disaster.