[CentOS] Raw print queues in CentOS 4.4

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

m3freak at rogers.com
Mon Jan 22 23:11:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 15:40 -0600, Mark Snyder wrote:
> We use the Okidata printers all the time without any problem.  We use them with a small
> dedicated print server box connection via our TCP network. Set up the printer to use either
> the epson emulation or the IBM proprinter emulation, we have had no success with the Okidata
> emulation.  For our console application we setup a raw printer que, for everything else we
> use the appropriate driver for the printer emulation set on the printer.

Ok.  Well, the printer is an ML 395.  I guess I can try using the other
emulation types again, and try out the appropriate driver.

> Can you do a test to the printer from the Windows box? You must get that working first then
> match the print driver on cups to the Windows driver.  One of the Epson FX series will work
> the best.

Printing from console apps on the Linux side is okay.  I'll try printing
the OOo document directly from the Windows PC.

> It would be much less troublesome to just use a dedicated print server as we do.

Tried that too.  I did the dedicated print server test because I wanted
to make sure the parallel port on the server wasn't busted or maybe
misconfigured in the BIOS.  It wasn't though - the print server messed
things up too.

I'm starting to think the printer is just broken - maybe the other
emulation types just don't work.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ranbir