[CentOS] core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

Feizhou

feizhou at graffiti.net
Tue Jan 23 08:00:21 UTC 2007

> This is valuable information. There goes the trust I had in the shop as
> well :-( I read some articles also in this list about Core 2 duo, so I
> want to go for that. I don't care that much about having the cheapest
> machine available. I just want a machine capable of addressing 8GB of
> memory.
>
> I notice that server boards seem to have multiple sockets and use quad
> core processors. They are capable of handling 16GB easily. I don't need
> so many horsepower in parallel. Nice for a mail or web server running
> hundreds of threads. I plan to run 1 or 2 heavy jobs in parallel. And I
> want the job to be able to acquire >4GB memory if needed. So speed is
> important, but it's number two on the list. First the memory size needs
> to be OK.
>
> Anyone has a good advice?

AMD X2 processors? Proven solid and has no problems addressing 8GB RAM
with Tyan boards.

Has anyone actually stress tested a Core 2 Duo box and seen how it
handles it? I know of one instance where a large Korean portal had no
problems in trials with the Xeon version of the core 2 Duo but hit major
stability issues when they went live.