[CentOS] wireless question

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Jan 23 22:54:45 UTC 2007

Jimmy Bradley wrote:
>       OK, that being the case, can some one recommend a pci wireless
> card that they know will work with cent os 4.4?

There's just been a discussion regarding pcmcia cards for linux; much of
the same applies to pci too.

One thing that works extremely well is an ethernet-wireles bridge - it
might be called a gaming adaptor, or similar. Plugs into your network
card & does the wireless thing. No driver required.

Brand and model information isn't very useful, vendors change the
chipset in a given model without notice, and that can mean no support.

Atheros-based cards work fine, but you need to either build the driver
yourself (easy), or download the drivers separately. It won't be part of
CentOS.