[CentOS] System hangs at "Rebooting System" on VIA KM400 chipsets

nethub at gmail.com

Wed Jan 24 05:57:22 UTC 2007

Benjamin Smith wrote:
> Dunno, but I'd be messing around with the BIOS. Usually there's something
> there that you have to tweak. Turn stuff on/off that looks right. Look for
> stuff about turning on/off power management, apci, etc.
>
> (Obvious: don't mess with CPU speed, clock speed, HDD settings, etc)
>
> -Ben

These systems have been running fine with no problems with a Redhat
Linux derivative (CentOS or Fedora) or FreeBSD for over two years
already, so I don't think it's really necessary to do anything there.

We recently did fresh installs of CentOS 4.4.  That's when the problem
started happening.  The system works perfectly fine otherwise, it's just
a problem with the reboot process.  Since these are servers in a data
center, it's vital that they be able to reboot without intervention.

Did something significant change with CentOS 4.4 that could be causing
the problem?

Thanks.