[CentOS] How do I identify my hardware?

Paul Heinlein

heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Jan 24 21:54:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Mark Hull-Richter wrote:

> I have two issues with my machine - sound and video.  My sound card
> is not recognized at all (I think it's on the mobo, but I'm not sure
> how to identify it), and I have an ATI dual video card with two
> screens, but both show the same output, so I'm guessing that my
> CentOS does not know what it is, either (they show up as
> unidentified in the config file).

What I do is

   # get plain-language pci listing
   lspci
   # get numeric only pci listing
   lspci -n

Match the plain listing with the numeric listing to get the raw PCI ID
of the device in question, e.g.,

   # plain language
   01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit
   Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

   # numeric
   01:0c.0 0200: 8086:100e (rev 02)

Then head to the Linux PCI ID repo and search for the specific ID ($3
to awk :-), in this case, "8086:100e":

   http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/

In this case, 8086 is an Intel vendor ID and 100e specifies a '82540EM
Gigabit Ethernet Controller' device.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com