[CentOS] unable to mount centos hard drive

John Summerfield

debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 27 21:45:42 UTC 2007

John Summerfield wrote:
> Lance Earl wrote:
>
>> I am considering changing my server from Ubuntu to Centos. I have been
>> tinkering with a box that will eventually become a new server. I am
>> having a problem.
>>
>> This box has two ide drives. Originally I had a Ubuntu desktop installed
>> on hda and then added a Centos server installed on hdb. I wanted to try
>> a different server configuration without overwriting the current install
>> on hdb. With the server on hdb running, I mounted hda and copied some
>> important files from the Ubuntu drive to the Centos drive.
>> I installed a another instance of centos on hda and everything worked
>> fine. With the hda install running, I have attempted to mount hdb so
>> that I can retrieve my files. The problem I have is that when I mount
>> the drive I am taken to the boot directory on hdb and cannot navigate to
>> the directory that holds my files.
>>
>> How do I get access to the rest of the drive?
>

> Mount the other partition:-)

After I sent this it occurred to me that filesystem labels may be biting
you. Probably, you have two partitions with each filesystem label. Linux
  tends to choose the Wrong One.

Change /etc/fstab to use device names instead of filesystem labels.

"mount the other partition" still applies, but if you're using LVM the
device name has a long and convoluted name, and I don't know how you
"mount the other one."

--

Cheers
John