[CentOS] UFS (Unix File System) support

Peter Kjellstrom

cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Jan 29 09:17:43 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 08:07, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to mount a UFS (Unix File System) partition from an external
> device (ie, live cd).
> I've seen the kernel-2.6.x-x.x.x.xxx.plus.c4 has UFS support and I've
> several questions about:
>
> ¿How I know what FS are supported by my kernel?

1) just try to use or modprobe it and find out by trial and error
2) see which filesystems modules are available:
   find /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/fs -name "*.ko"
3) look in the config for your kernel to see if something is enabled:
   grep CONFIG_UFS_FS /boot/config-$(uname -r)

> ¿Is CentOS LiveCD edition builded with UFS support?
> ¿Is there another way to get UFS support without the complete
> installation of a new kernel?

UFS support (read-only) is avaiable in the centosplus kernel but not in
the "normal" one. Switching kernel is not hard, yum install ... edit your
grub.conf and reboot.

/Peter