[CentOS] How to access the internet from load-balanced nodes?

Jed Reynolds

lists at benrey.is-a-geek.net
Tue Jan 30 08:01:58 UTC 2007

Igor Zhbanov wrote:
> Hello!
> I have set-up four nodes system: two LVS load balancers (CentOS) and
> two working nodes (openSUSE).
> LVS nodes have global IPs, so they able to access the internet and
> working nodes have only private IPs, so they cannot access internet
> directly. I use NAT-base load balancing.
>
> Now I need to know how give working nodes ability to access the
> internet? I ask this because I don't know how to write properly
> iptables rules so LVS balancing packets will not conflict with working
> nodes internet connections. Should I assign some IP-alias for default
> gateway for that nodes or something else?

You should read thru the LVS HowTo, more about LVS-NAT. There is no
reason why your LVS load balancers can't also act as general NAT
gateways, that's really what they're already doing. Just make sure your
LVS-NAT gateways are masquerading internally initiated outbound traffic.
I don't think you'll have a problem.

Jed