[CentOS] vsftpd - too many FAIL connects

Jim Perrin

jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 12:58:05 UTC 2007

> Please find my logwatch results for vsftpd service. i am running updated vsftpd
> on centos-4.1 and still i am getting some probes.
>
> Could someone put some light on this issue. I am little worried about
> these probes.

Sure. Some bot is checking you for exploits, or other vulnerabilities
available via FTP. If this has to be public ftp, make sure to keep
your system updated, use selinux, and you may consider limiting NEW
connection types via iptables, which should slow down junk like this.

If it's ftp just for you and some friends, restrict it to known ip
addresses or use sftp/scp instead.

George Orwell