[CentOS] NFS 64-bit client crash with 32-bit server

Thu Jan 18 06:38:17 UTC 2007
bigendian at gmail.com <bigendian at gmail.com>

I have an unusual scenario where a new 64-bit multi-core Opteron
Centos 4.4client crashes when writing a large file on a 32-bit NFS
server.  The
problem happens on the same client with either Centos 4.4 or SuSE 9.3 32-bit
NFS servers.  Additionally the problem is reproducible with another
identical 64-bit Centos 4.4 client.  I'm not certain that the problem is
tied to a 32-bit (as opposed to 64-bit) NFS server, but it doesn't happen on
a local file system.

The crash appears to be some sort of kernel panic, but I don't have the
details as physical access to the server isn't easy.  The crashes seem to
happen when creating files over 2GB in size, but there doesn' seem to be a
fixed size that triggers the problem.  Sometimes I can get file sizes as
high as 3GB before the crash, but it's ususally at the 2.3GB to 2.6GB range
that it happens.

Are there known issues with Centos 4.4 and NFS that I might be running into?

Thanks,
Tom