[CentOS] Raw print queues in CentOS 4.4

Mon Jan 22 18:57:40 UTC 2007
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at rogers.com>

Hi All,

I have a raw print queue configured in CentOS 4.4 for a printer
connected to a Windows PC.  The printer doesn't have a Linux driver of
any sort, so this was the only way to print to it.

The printer is an Okidata dot matrix printer.  Users can print to it
from a console application, but if they try printing to it from OOo
Writer, the printer spits out reams of pages with what looks like
postscript code.  The very first page has a line that says "%!
PS-Adobe-3.0".

Even though the print queue is configured as "raw", why are OOo Writer
print jobs still sent as postscript documents?  I'm don't know too much
about printing, postscript, etc., so I don't know if this is normal or
if something broke.

Regards,

Ranbir
--