[CentOS] Problems with building a complete kernel

Thu Jan 25 22:34:22 UTC 2007
Mark Hull-Richter <mhull-richter at datallegro.com>

I have a plain vanilla Centos source (not 100% sure where we got it
from), but I can't seem to get a build that installs correctly.

I tried the method described at
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel, but rpm doesn't like the
output file, and even if I install it with -F, nothing seems to happen -
no new kernel, now initrd, nothing.

When I tried following the directions in the README file that came with
the source, I built the kernel just fine, but the instructions then go
on to describe how to modify LILO to make the install work, and my boot
loader is GRUB - not sure how to reconcile those two.

So, I built yet another kernel (rpm) following the guide at
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_centos, and the rpm built
just fine, but when I run mkinitrd, it complains that I don't have the
ahci module in my kernel.  The only reference I have found to ahci is in
my boot setup, and it is already enabled, so, once again, I am stuck.

Anyone have any ideas here?

I'm running Centos 2.6.9-42.0.3ELsmp on a Dell Precision 390 (P4/HT
3GHz, 2Gb mem, ATI FireGL 4700, 160Gb SATA, ...

Thanks (again).