[CentOS] disabling prelink?

Tue Jan 2 16:40:02 UTC 2007
Justin Randall <jrandall at comwave.net>

This document may be helpful.

http://people.redhat.com/jakub/prelink.pdf

Regards,

Justin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Aleksandar Milivojevic [mailto:alex at milivojevic.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:14 AM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: [CentOS] disabling prelink?

What are the pros and cons of disabling prelinking in CentOS 4?

 From what I understand, prelinking is ment to be performance
improvement (faster loading time for binaries).  I can see some
potential benefit on workstations where many different processes are
started frequently.  But how big is that benefit in real life?  Would
I slow down things noticably if there is no prelinking?

Is there any benefit at all of having prelinking on a server box that
runs couple of daemons which are started only at boot time, and then
they either use threads or fork themself to handle requests?  In
either case, such processes are fully (or at least mostly) linked at
boot time.  For example servers running stuff like Sendmail or
Postfix, Dovecot or Cyrus-IMAPD, Squid, MySQL, LDAP and such.