[CentOS] Re: Freeing pv space for snapshots

Sat Jan 6 09:05:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 11:25 -0800, Scott Silva wrote:
<snip>

> > Right, if you can't unmount there are several options ... we have a
> > rescue mode on CD-1, the DVD, or the Single Server CD ... also we have
> > the live CD.
> >
> > The OS you boot to needs LVM2 and all the EXT3 tools ... personally I
> > recommend the LiveCD ... that was one of it's main purposes.  It is much
> > more full featured than the rescue mode on the other CDs.

> What would be nice, if it already isn't in the live cd, would be a command or
> binary to look for and mount the existing installations like the rescue mode
> does. If this is already there, then pardon me, as I haven't seen it.
> A lot of us know how to walk through and do this, but many people do not.

While the LiveCD does not mount the devices in /mnt/sysimage ... it can
automount all partitions.

If you start it with the command:

linux automount

You end up with all your partitions mounted in /mnt/ by their name.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes