[CentOS] Lost Samba GUI interface

Sat Jan 6 21:28:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 12:56 -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> After making some adjustments to Samba via the Control Center, the
> System Settings | Server Settings | Samba (my preferred) no longer will
> display.
>
> Can I fix this or do I need to reinstall Centos 4.4?

I've never used that thing (the file name is system-config-samba) as it
can mangle the /etc/samba/smb.conf file .... I have never liked system-
config-samba.

You shouldn't reinstall ... that program only works half the time
anyway ... if it was not in the upstream distro and if we were not
trying to mirror the upstream distro as closely as possible I would have
taken it out already.

Your best bet is to learn how to edit that file (/etc/samba/smb.conf) by
hand.

You can test the file for errors with this command (as root) from the
command line:

testparm

If there is an error with the smb.conf file that should show it.