[CentOS] Re: Fedora Legacy shutting down

Sun Jan 7 20:45:28 UTC 2007
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

John Summerfield wrote:

>>> I maintain a RHL 7.3 system; what's involved in switching it to
>>> CentOS2.1?
>>

>> My sympathies go out to you. :-)

Actually an RH 7.3 with its last updates is an incredibly solid
system.  I have a one (firewalled, I don't think I'd trust it
on the internet) doing quite a bit of work that hasn't been
rebooted in 3+ years - I've forgotten exactly because the uptime
counter had a bug and rolls every 497 days.

>>> I  presume I need to replace the /etc/releases file, the yum
>>> configuration and (maybe) force-reinstall some upgrades
>>

>> I have never actually tried to do the upgrade but years ago when RHEL
>> (then
>> called 2.1AS) was new, I used a 7.3 system to build the 2.1AS rpms. The
>> biggest problem I had was that some of the 7.3 packages were newer
>> then the
>> 2.1AS packages. IIRC 2.1AS was based off of RHL 7.2.
>>
>> I suspect that trying to do the upgrade from 7.3 to CentOS2.1, _might_
>> leave
>> you with some packages not up to date.
>

> Those I can identify at my leisure and apply a little force to.
> Possibly, some were new in RHL 7.3.

Is there some reason to use Centos 2.x instead of 3.x?  I don't see
any showstopper issues between everything I have running on 7.3
and Centos 3, although I'd probably install from scratch and
back in my old configs instead of expecting an upgrade to work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com