[CentOS] Re: Updating PHP

Mon Jan 8 02:04:27 UTC 2007
Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com>

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Todd Cary wrote:

> Tom -
>
> I need a refresher here!  If I remember correctly (it has been several years
> since I was exposed to this), the .srpm is the source, but I am not sure how
> to rebuild it.  The configure that includes Interbase is
>
> # ./configure --with-interbase=shared,/opt/firebird
>
> Can you point me toward some examples of recompiling the .srpm for PHP?  That
> really makes sense.  As I have said in other messages, it is about every few
> years that I need to revisit this aspect of Linux, so my abilities are
> limited/rusty.  The rest of my time is spent with Delphi writing applications
> for my clients in the "other" environment/OS.

I would suggest you get the fedora rpmdevtools rpm and run the rpmdev-setuptree
program to setup a build tree within your home directory. Yes, I know you are
running CentOS but the package is a noarch thing and the rpmdev-setuptree
program is just a bash script. That will give you a place to build your rpms.

It sounds like it should be as simple as running rpm -Uvh php-whatever.src.rpm,
then editing the .spec file, modifying the configure line and then running
rpmbuild -ba php-whatever.spec.

Of course your mileage may vary and we all know that the above would be too
easy but you never know. You might get lucky :-)

If you want to step through the build process you can do rpmbuild -bp for the
prep step, -bc for the prep and compile, etc.. man rpmbuild or the docs at
rpm.org will have more detailed info.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tom