[CentOS] OT: Apache Built -how do add SSL module?

Wed Jan 10 21:03:01 UTC 2007
Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com>

On 10/01/07, Karl R. Balsmeier <karl at klxsystems.net> wrote:
> hey I already compiled apache 2.0.58 from source onto my centos server
> and noticed I needed to get SSL module added "after the fact"
>
> -what are the commands I would run to get this working without wiping
> everything out and starting over?

It's generally recommended that you DO NOT compile *anything* from
source for CentOS or any other RPM-based distro unless you have
absolutely no other option and you know what you're doing.

And under those circumstances you should at least consider rebuilding
a custom RPM with whatever additional functionality you require from
the SRPM so it's still packaged and runs far less risk of breaking the
system.

If you need Apache with SSL support the recommended method would be to
install the 'httpd' and 'mod_ssl' packages and their dependencies with
the command...

# yum install httpd mod_ssl

or

# yum groupinstall 'Web Server'

The latter of which includes...

Group: Web Server
 Required Groups:
   Base
 Mandatory Packages:
   tux
   httpd
 Default Packages:
   mod_python
   mod_ssl
   distcache
   webalizer
   system-config-httpd
   mod_perl
   crypto-utils
   httpd-manual
   squid
   php-ldap
   php
 Optional Packages
   mod_auth_kerb
   httpd-suexec
   php-pgsql
   php-odbc
   mod_auth_pgsql
   mod_auth_mysql
   mod_authz_ldap
   php-mysql

There's lots more useful information on the CentOS site and in the Wiki.

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/sn-software-management-tools.html
http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/yum/sn-managing-packages.html
http://wiki.centos.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=yum&titlesearch=Titles

Will.