[CentOS] yum does not download i386 packages on x86_64 Hardware from the centos-4.4 extras repo

Fri Jan 12 09:45:36 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 07:02 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Kevan Benson wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 January 2007 02:20, Joachim Backes wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I installed centos-4.4 on x86_64, and I wanted to install nx and freenx
> >> from the centos extras. But
> >>
> >> yum list available '*nx*
> >>
> >> gives me only
> >>yum list available '*nx*'
> >> Setting up repositories
> >>Reading repository metadata in from local files
> >>Available Packages
> >>lynx.x86_64 2.8.5-18.2
> >> base
> >>
> >> Question: How, by using yum, can I install i386-packages or noarch-packages
> >> on a x86_64 centos? Any help appreciated.
> >
> > The exact same way you install any other package.  If i386 or noarch packages
> > are available, they will be listed.  In this case, none matched your search,
> > the most likely cause is that you don't have the extras repository enabled.
> >
> > This is why doing a quick google search or list archive search is always
> > suggested, as this question (the nx portion) was answered for someone else by
> > Karanbir less than two hours before you posted this.
>
> I did it (i'm not a LINUX newcomer). See below!!!   ;-)
>

> > See http://wiki.centos.org/FreeNX (Karanbir's suggestion).
> >

> Hi Kevan, I do not agree with you. I did a fresh CentOS install.
> Please have a look at
>
> 	http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories
>
> On this page you will find:
>
> -------------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------------------------
> CentOS Extras - This repository is for items that provide additional functionality to CentOS
> without breaking upstream compatibility or updating base components. The CentOS development team
> has tested every item in this repository, and they build and work under CentOS-4. They have not
> been tested by the upstream provider, and are not available in the upstream products. This
> repository is shipped with CentOS, and is enabled by default.
> -------------------------------------- snip ----------------------------------------------------
>
> The last line says: then CentOS extras repository is enabled by default.

The NX items are not in x86_64 repo ... as many i386 items are not.

You can download them and install them by hand or use the ones from the
x86_64 testing repo (which will be moved into both i386 and x86_64
extras after a little more testing).

The code from nomachine.org does not compile on x86_64, so you will need
i386 packages (like glibc, etc.) to install NX on x86_64.

The easiest way ... download the nx and freenx RPMS from here and put
them in a directory on your Machine by themselves:

http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/freenx-0.5.0-12.el4.centos.i386.rpm

http://dev.centos.org/centos/4/testing/i386/RPMS/nx-2.1.0-4.el4.centos.i386.rpm

install them with the command:

yum localinstall freenx-0.5.0-12.el4.centos.i386.rpm nx-2.1.0-4.el4.centos.i386.rpm

(all one line)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes