[CentOS] Switching from Vesa driver to video adapter driver fails

Sat Jan 13 05:03:25 UTC 2007
Ted Miller <tedjeanmiller at sbcglobal.net>

Edward Diener wrote:
> The Vesa driver works fine with CentOS 4.4. I have an NVidia 6200
> video adapter. I go to Applications | System Settings | Display |
> Hardware tab and find my video adapter in the list and set it. The
> dialog tells me I have to log out for it to take effect, so I duly do
> that. I then getting a message from a non-graphics screen saying that
> the attempt to switch to the video adapter failed.
[snip]

Use the vesa driver or use the proprietary nvidia driver.  The nv driver
from xorg (or at least the version(s) supplies with Centos 4 do not
support my 6200 card.  No amount of fiddling made any difference.  The
proprietary driver supports it very nicely (if your computing philosophy
allows you to use  it).

Ted Miller