[CentOS] Centos 4.4 install on ASUS A8V-VM does not find SATA drives

Wed Jan 17 03:32:57 UTC 2007
Don Levey <centos at the-leveys.us>

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 18:51 -0500, William Warren wrote:
> Where does it hang at?
>
> Don Levey wrote:
> > Yes, I know someone last week asked a similar question (Problem with ASUS
> > P5VD2-X X SATA II) but the only answer I saw on that thread was the
> > equivalent of "I've heard it's bad so I won't do it."  Unfortunately, that
> > doesn't help me much.

Before the graphical installation routine, it tells me that it can't
find a hard drive and gives me the opportunity to choose an interface
manually.  I either choose the one given (VT86c100A Rhine-II PCI
(via-rhine)) or the only other VIA option from the list (I don't have
the machine in front of me now, so I don't know specifically).  Either
way, it goes into the graphical install, I choose languages and type of
installation, and that I want to manually partition the drives.  I'm
then told that there are no hard drives, and it kicks me out of the
install.

>From what little I can find via the web, it looks like no-one can get
this to work and I may need to buy a separate SATA controller (or two
new hard drives for PATA).

 -Don