[CentOS] Re: machine with many filesystem errors

Thu Jan 18 20:49:24 UTC 2007
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

Jerry Geis spake the following on 1/18/2007 12:42 PM:
> I have a machine with many file system errors.
>
> I booted into rescue mode - I tried to run "e2fsck -p /dev/hda1"
> but it says something about inconsistency and cannot run with -p.
> So then I just run "e2fsck /dev/hda1" and I have to answer MANY
> fixes with a "y".
>
> How can you just tell it to fix it and dont ask?
> I'd hate to say how many 'y' I have answered.
>
> The filesystem is ext3, I was surprised this even happened.
>
> Jerry
I don't think you can, other than holding down the "y" key. And I am not sure
if that will work. That "feature" is there for a reason. If your filesystem is
that damaged, and e2fsck makes a wrong guess as to what to do, it could be
damaged even more.
You might want to back up the drive just in case. You might have to do
something like dump or dd to get a good backup.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and