[CentOS] Best Board Your Ever Ran CentOS On?

Thu Jan 18 21:24:25 UTC 2007
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet.com>

John R Pierce wrote:
> the HS20's do run CentOS v3 -and- v4 quite nicely, I've got a number
> of HS20's (sans raid, just single internal SCSI drives), and
> everything just works out of box.  I've installed both x86_64 and i686
> on them.
>
> PDU?  Mine are just plugged into the rack's existing 208V dual rails.
>
> i have 3GB each of ram in mine.   Mine have dual Xeon 2.8Ghz CPUs w/
> 2MB cache.   you can get a gigE copper 'passthrough' module that just
> gives you discrete 14 ethernet cables for each port of each machine
> instead of buying into their cisco or nortel switches... with
> hindsight, I kinda wish I'd gotten the internal switches, would have
> saved a lot of cable mess.   those little tiny 'lame-o' 2.5" drives
> aren't laptop drives, they are 10,000 rpm u320 scsi drives, the
> Seagate Savvio enterprise drives that all the server folks are
> switching to as they can get more drives in less space.   I've got 2G
> fiberchannel adapters in my blades, so they can talk to a SAN, and
> they can even boot off of iSCSI if so configured (that I haven't
> tested yet)
>
> you can also get dual Opteron blades, PowerPC blades that run AIX, and
> even a Cell blade for doing Cell based scientific number crunching.
I didn't actually spec and order what I'm playing with at the moment,
but I'll look into it going forward.

And thanks to the guys who replied to this ever so OT thread, I just
learned a bunch of things I didn't know
about the stuff I have, including what accessories I want to get for
them going down the road the next couple
of months.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss