[CentOS] wireless card for CentOS

Fri Jan 19 19:59:28 UTC 2007
Cameron Showalter <cameron at gwschool.com>

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll need to buy a new wireless card.  I need a recommendation for
> PCMCIA wireless card that simply works with CentOS out of the box.
>
> By "works out of the box", I mean that it doesn't need ndis wrapper
> (or whatever it is called), kernel hacks, or whatever.
>
> Thanks

there are a lot of resources out there regarding general linux
compatibility with wireless cards, however alot of outdated.     You can
still find some very useful information.   The problem ends up being
using any sort of encryption other than WEP with newer cards that
support WPA, WPA2, etc...   I have successfully used a Zyxel G-102v2
802.11g card with different distros including Centos 4.x on an
unencrypted network or with WEP, but when I try to get WPA working I run
into a wall because the windows drivers don't work with ndiswrapper.

good luck,
cameron