[CentOS] Ultra simple mail server config?

Sat Jan 20 15:15:50 UTC 2007
Michael Watters <wattersm at liquidweb.com>

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am hoping you folks on the list could advise me on
> this...
>
> Can anyone point me towards a HOW-TO that describes
> how to transform a normal CentOS install into a very
> basic POP3/IMAP/SMTP email server?
>
> Our current ISP where we host ~15 domains and ~25+
> email accounts has a mandatory incoming "auto-discard"
> spam filter that is far too strict to continue using.
>
> Unfortunately, switching ISPs is not an option right
> now.
>
> I am looking at signing up for a basic low-memory
> CentOS "Virtual Dedicated Server" to  handle our own
> incoming (& outgoing) mail.
>
> There will not be a full-time IT person to maintain
> the server, so simplicity is a must.
>
> I am perfectly fine with leaving out complex
> server-side spam filtering, though I suspect that some
> basic blacklist usage would be a good idea.
>
> Most specifically, I don't want to add the security
> liability  and m caintenance requirements of a typical
> "default" server. (Apache, PHP, MySQL, Bind, etc.)
>
> Basically, I want an ultra-basic server that I can set
> for automatic updates and let it continue running
> "hands-off" until CentOS 4 is no longer supported with
> security patches.
>
> Does such a HOW-TO exist?
>
> If not, and there are experts here willing to help
> out, I would be happy to write up my experience.
>
> Thank you for reading,
> David
If you don't want to manage the server yourself you could purchase an
account with any web host and point your DNS or just the MX to that
host.  I don't want to turn this into an ad so send me a message off
list or check out our web site if interested.