[CentOS] Installing 4.4 - problem on 386

Sat Jan 20 20:14:13 UTC 2007
John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>

Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> I tried installing with several options (noacpi noapm; noprobe; noprobe
> skipddc noacpi noapm nodma). Always I get the same error.
>
> BUT this is not in fac a CentOS problem at all, because I get the same error
> always when I boot from hd (Fedora Core), IF there is a CD in the CD-ROM
> drive. (I tried with CentOS 1/4, CentOS 2/4 and a HP printer software CD.)
> It must be something with the CD drive! Maybe I just have to try another CD
> drive.

As a diagnostic technique, try something different: Ubuntu or Knoppix say.
Knoppix runs direct from CD, it's very good for an emergency Linux
desktop and for all sorts of recovery and diagnostic work.

I've even seen it recommended by a Windows guru for Windows work.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait