[CentOS] Risks of installing i386 rpms on a x86_64 CentOS 4.4 installation

Mon Jan 22 03:35:00 UTC 2007
Maciej Ĺťenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

>> >  Are there any risks in installing i386 binaries (via rpm) on a x86_64
>> >  installation of CentOS 4.4?

Personally I find that the best solution is to install an i386, then
swapout the kernel, install a few extra 64 bit libraries, and then
potentially reinstall whatever packages you need to be 64bit for
performance reasons.

[Mind you, you might need to mess around a bit to get this working, I
can't remember the exact steps I took last time I did this to get the rpms
to install without complaints, but I think I remember actually doing both
a i386 and x86_64 install in seperate partitions and then doing a manual
merge and removing one of them... should probably document it...]

Me?  I use 32-bit everything, except kernel, libc, stdlibc++ and the
compiler.  But then all I need it for is development of short but
extremely memory hogging C/C++ applications.

Maciej