[CentOS] Re: core 2 duo motherboards and centos 4

Mon Jan 22 11:40:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 07:20 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:

> I'm not sure it's entirely dead, though it's closer than I suggested.
> Here's the notice from its website:
>
> "The current model for supporting maintenance distributions is being
> re-examined. In the meantime, we are unable to extend support to older
> Fedora Core releases as we had planned. As of now, Fedora Core 4 and
> earlier distributions are no longer being maintained."
> >
> > You are correct though that Fedora is not shutting down. I mention this
> > because
> > there seem to be people on this list that do not understand the
> > difference. :-(
>
> It's always the case that what seems clear to some is unclear to me.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legacy-list/2006-December/msg00049.html

(that thread ... also carrying over into January is quite clear.  The
FedoraLegacy project is shutting down (as in, they are doing no more
updates for any FC/RH distro past, present, or future).  They are not
even sure if they will maintain the currently built content anywhere.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legacy-list/2007-January/thread.html

> btw, if you're particularly keen to stat at about the RHL 7.3 level then
> CentOS 2.1 is close, CentOS 3 is close to FC1 (I think) and CentOS 4 is
> a good match for FC3.
>
> Note, "good match" is less than "perfect match." Making it work may
> require some skill:-)

Those are the correct FC versions as a basis for the CentOS releases,
yes.