[CentOS] i386 or x86_64 installation

Mon Jan 22 22:45:26 UTC 2007
Matt <lm7812 at gmail.com>

> > back I see is the max RAM on i386 but perhaps I am wrong.  90 percent
> > of our CPU load is Spamassassin.  Disk I/O is likely a big bottle neck
>
> Are you using spamd?

Yes, and it almost always on the top of top.

> I ask, because me mate's system was rather busy, and it transpired he
> wasn't.
>

> Other than extra RAM, AMD-64 CPUs have more registers, and they work
> best with 64-bit code, so for CPU-intensive work you should see better
> performance with 64-bit Linux than with 32-bit.

I still doubt if I move to 64 bit since its still considered beta by
the web GUI I am using and I have no intention of porting 2000 email
accounts plus a few websites to a new platform.  Doing a
admin/reseller backup and restore is going to be nasty enough.  If I
initially have 4G of RAM can I actually jump up to 8G later on i386
CentOS?

Matt