[CentOS] Drive Failing

Fri Jan 26 15:25:28 UTC 2007
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Mike Kercher wrote:
> I got an email from smartd yesterday with the following error:
>
> SMART Health Status: SERVO IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH
> [asc=5d,ascq=43]
>
> I understand this means the drive is probably going to fail.  This
> device is /dev/sda and is part of /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>
> Is it possible to replace the single failing drive and if so, what would
> be the steps so that data isn't lost.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/removeadisk.html

/dev/sda, is that your boot device?   that will greatly complicate
things...  and, your swap is probably not under LVM, /boot certainly
isn't so there's moer on that drive than just part of VolGroup00

I think I'd opt for plan B...  install an identical new drive on another
SCSI unit, boot a standalone live CD, and DD image the whole raw
physical drive /dev/sda, then swap this new drive to SCSI unit 0 and
remove the failed one.