[CentOS] Mounting a LVM partition on a USB attached drive

Wed Jan 31 00:39:32 UTC 2007
javajunkie <javajunkie at koyuru.com>

HI,

>I have one of those USB hard drive cases, and I have my old hard drive
> in it.
>
> Eventhough I have made the changes to mount multiple USB drives in one
> USB device (works fine for my media play with internal and SD drive), I
> am only getting the first partition (/Boot (2)) automounted.
>
> df does not show anything more about the drive, but the gnome hardware
> browser shows all three partitions on the drive:
>
> /dev/sda
>     sda1      ext3
>     sda2      linux-swap
>     sda3      LVM Physical Volume
>
> Naturally it is sda3 that I want to access.
I used the following to figure it out.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

You'll probably need to do /sbin/vgscan to figure out the lvm name then
run

/sbin/vgchange -a y;
mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/whatever

can't remember how I arrived at VolGroup00/LogVol00 but think there is
an explanation in the how-to

to automount I do in fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/whatever          ext3    defaults  1 2
[note: I had run the vgchange prior to that once though, changed fstab
and it comes up automounted now without doing vgchange.

Hope that is what you were asking.

Shawn