[CentOS] beginner resources for CentOS

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Tue Jul 3 22:46:18 UTC 2007

On Jul 3, 2007, at 6:07 PM, Rogelio Bastardo wrote:

> I'm looking for a good online (or even a good)  "how to be a
> sysadmin" guide for beginners geared towards CentOS users.
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

dunno about online, but there are some good books out there on the

read Evi Nemeth et al.'s "Linux Administration Handbook" (http://
www.admin.com/); the Red Hat-related sections will be relevant to

then read Tom Limoncelli and Christine Hogan's "The Practice of
System and Network Administration" (http://everythingsysadmin.com/),
but don't do so until you feel comfortable and solid with the
Nemeth.  this book is not distribution- or architecture-specific, but
it's more about the fundamental "how" of system administration, and
can be of greater use to you than any specific technical
documentation.  in particular, if you're starting out, you'll have a
good opportunity to develop good habits from the beginning, instead
of having to break yourself of bad habits later. :)

If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction.  - Fabian, Twelfth Night