[CentOS] 64 bit

centos at 911networks.com centos at 911networks.com
Sat Jul 7 14:55:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:37:53 -0700
"Akemi Yagi" <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/6/07, centos at 911networks.com <centos at 911networks.com> wrote:
> > I need to get a new computer and am looking at Intel E6600
> > Core 2 Duo. I'll be running Centos5.
> >
> > I have a couple of VMware Workstation 6 licenses, is there a
> > way to install and run 64 bit inside an VMware virtual machine?
> >
> > I  don't care  about performance,  it's only  for testing  and
> > debugging purposes. This is not production.
> >
> > Any suggestion?
>
> Maybe this release note for WS6 helps?
>
> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws6/doc/releasenotes_ws6.html
>
> I've been running CentOS x86_64 on a VMware Workstation 5 host.

1. Thank you, this led me to the answer:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1901

Hardware and Firmware Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating
Systems:

Intel

Intel CPUs require EM64T and VT support in the chip and in the
BIOS.

Intel EM64T CPUs do not have segmentation support in long mode. If
the Intel EM64T CPU is VT-capable, it comes with hardware
virtualization support (Intel's Vanderpool Technology). This
hardware virtualization support allows Workstation and VMware
Server to work around the lack of segmentation, making it possible
to run 64-bit guest operating systems on Intel EM64T VT-capable
CPUs. Note: Firmware/BIOS support is required to enable Intel
Virtualization Technology. Some systems (particularly laptops) do
not have the necessary firmware/BIOS support to enable Intel
Virtualization Technology, and cannot run 64-bit guest operating
systems.

--
Thanks
http://www.sqlhacks.com