[CentOS] kernels with cifs backport (Was: where is smbmount on centOS 5)

Akemi Yagi

amyagi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 06:03:34 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Wojtek.Pilorz <wpilorz at bdk.pl> wrote:

> On Fedora6, I have noted the folowing problems when using cifs to connect to
> NT shares:
>
> - cp -vip does not copy mtime; tar x does copy mtime
>   (it seems setting modtime by fname does work, setting by handle does not)
> - when there is a share mounted from a NT/2000 server which is not used for long time
>   mounting another share from the same servers reliably fails ;
>   touching the already mounted share (ls is OK) allows the mount so succeed.
> - when using vim to edit a file on the share and trying to write it, vim often
>   says that the file has been modified in the meantime
> - perhaps most annoying: somtimes modifying a file located on NT 4 Workstation share with vim,
>   it becomes permanently unavailable until NT is rebooted.
>   It happens rarely, I do not know how to trigger it on demand.
>
> Those problems did not happen when using smbfs from CentOS 4.4.
>
> I am wondering if CentOS 5 has these problems?
> Anyone using cifs from CentOS 5 to access NT-exported share, would care to comment?

Here is the updated info.

Steve French (samba team) made available a newer cifs version (1.48)
backported to old kernels:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2007-April/001898.html

Using this cifs code Jeff Layton (RH) has built some test kernels
after making appropriate adjustment for RHEL:

http://people.redhat.com/jlayton/

You can try the test kernel to see if the problems have been fixed, or
if you would rather not use any test kernel, you can just get the cifs
module compiled.  I have compiled a x86_64 version of cifs for CentOS
5 for my own use and confirmed it has eliminated the bug that causes
system crashes in kernel 2.6.18 (C5's default).

Akemi