[CentOS] question on kernel compile

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jul 9 22:20:23 UTC 2007

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I "think" I followed the directions on kernel compile (actually I
> downloaded 2.6.21.5).
> did the make oldconfig, did make menuconfig, did my compile and
> everything is working fine
> in that regard.
>
> My question now is how do I take that kernel configuration and use it
> for another machine
> that also needs the 2.6.21.5 kernel. Basically I am trying to save the
> step of going back into
> menuconfig and reselecting what I wanted.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry

If you saved that config file somewhere, copy it into the kernel
directory as .config and run "make oldconfig".

Then you can run "make menuconfig" to validate that things are as you
expect.

If you did not save the .config file after you ran "make menuconfig"
before, then you will have to do it again.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes