[CentOS] RPM build environment -- was: query on sendmail issues

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jul 12 22:33:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, mailadmin at baladia.gov.kw wrote:

> 1) i dont see /usr/src/redhat/BUILD and the other 4 directories..
> namely RPMS, SOURCES, SPECS, SRPMS
> so basically how do i install /src.rpm files

Building as root is not sensible, as packages can 'leak' and
pollute the host environment -- see:
 	http://www.oldrpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/
for setting up a non-root building environment.

We discuss it in a CentOS context here:
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/patching_srpms/

The Guru Labs tutorial material are linked, and a local copy
also maintained at:
 	http://www.oldrpm.org/howto/

which are also well thought of by me.

> appreciate if someone can hrlp me and detail me some steps or give me so
> possible links tht gonna be of help
> thnks and apprecite
> Regards
> simon

Good luck -- let us know how your efforts progress.

-- Russ Herrold