[CentOS] help compiling a package camserv

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Jul 16 15:42:33 UTC 2007

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I download camserv and did the usual ./configure and make
> make gives me an error:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -o camserv camconfig.o camserv.o filter.o main_loop.o
> picture_loop.o shm.o video.o -Wl,--export-dynamic
> ../libltdl/.libs/libltdlc.al -ldl ../common/libcommon.a -lnsl -ljpeg -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: errno: TLS definition in /lib64/libc.so.6 section .tbss
> mismatches non-TLS reference in camserv.o
> /lib64/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>

> What could that be from? I have never seen this error before?
>
> Jerry

I have seen that error many times ... it usually comes from having i386
programs on your x86_64 build machine.

For compiling on x86_64, you need a build root that has only glibc.i686
and glibc-devel.i386 in it from the i[3,4,5,6]86 distro.

Any other packages and you can start having issues ...

IF that is not the problem, the the makefile needs to be changed to
specifically call the 64bit linker.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes