[CentOS] Security checklist for new Centos server?

Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela clsdaniel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 07:50:17 UTC 2007

For ssh I highly recommend disabling password login, use only key
pairs, this will really help improve your security with SSH, another
thing you can do is monitor SSH logs, you will find that at times
there will be someone trying to loging using a dictionary of users,
you can easily create a script that checks for failed logins, count
them and ban the IP in your firewall with iptables, there is also some
pre-made scripts for this too.

Generally only open ports for services that you really need to have
exposed to the WAN (Internet).