[CentOS] CentOS based router dropping connections

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Jul 21 19:02:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 12:29 -0400, Jesse Cantara wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> <snip>

> The issue I'm having is that external traffic is being forwarded
> properly, BUT that it drops the connection occasionally. It's not
> consistent (maybe 2 out of 5 downloads from the internet through the
> router to the webserver will drop), and the connections are being made,
> so it's not a fundamental configuration issue. It's something more
> sneaky. I'm thinking that there's something in the kernel or network
> driver that isn't functioning properly, or maybe a buffer that is
> becoming full and abandoning the connection?
>
> <snip>

> -Jesse
>
> Bob Chiodini wrote:
> >

> > Jesse Cantara wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to figure out a problem I'm having using CentOS on a
> >> machine as a router. The short story is: any traffic routed through
> >> the router seems to get disconnected at random occasionally.
> >>
> >><snip>

Someone recently posted a thread about a similar complaint to the lists
recently. IIRC, the [SOLVED] post mentioned a problem with MTU being
smaller than some of the packets received at one point, causing
fragmentation, and the next step not being to reassemble the packet
because of a certain flag being set.

I don't remember which bit the flag was and no little about this, but I
remember the general gist.

Maybe your problem is similar?

HTH
--