[CentOS] NFS filesystem recommendations please (and problems with XFS)

Patrick - South Valley Internet

patrickm at garlic.com
Sat Jul 21 20:46:09 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am implementing a new mail server into our environment consisting of
three machines - two Dell Opterons that will act as load balanced
Postfix servers, and a 1.5TB RAID10 NFS server.  All three machines are
running CentOS 4.5.

Since the NFS is going to be used for only mail, I was kicking around
the idea to use XFS.  I have CentOS installed on an ext3 partition, and
with the leftover space on the NFS I created an XFS partition.  I tried
to implement XFS into the kernel, and was coming across some issues.
Even after installing xfprogs and xfsprogs-devel, and issuing the command:

yum --enable-plusrepos install kernel

I booted up the kernel and still could not mount my XFS share.  I keep
getting this error:

mount: fs type xfs not supported by kernel

After googling around (and not finding out how to get XFS enabled in the
kernel), people had some concerns about using XFS due to issues and it
being about as fast as ext3.

Also people said that I might run into issues with XFS if I run
NFS+lvm+xfs+md but I'm not sure if I run lvm and md and if that applies
to me.

I found this benchmarking blog someone wrote that compares the speeds in
Ubuntu with all the filesystems in a Postfix server environment
(although it's not NFS):

http://piao-tech.blogspot.com/2007/04/file-system-benchmarks-for-postfix-mail.html

With all this said, I'd like to use XFS, if it indeed is going to be the
fastest for the solution I want to implement.  If you guys can help me
get that installed by telling me what I need - great!  If you think XFS
isn't going to work as efficiently and fast as I want it to, and there
is another filesystem (such as ext3) that will be more stable and just
as fast in my setup, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Patrick